Energy efficiency is good for business
Using energy more efficiently translates to lower energy costs and improved profitability. It’s also valuable for businesses to be able to say that they are genuinely making an ongoing contribution to New Zealand’s emissions reduction goals.
The business sector accounts for about
- 48% of our total energy use (excluding transport)
- 27% of New zealand's total energy-related emissions
Programmes & co-investment
- We encourage New Zealand businesses to adopt strategic energy management systems by providing advice, technical assistance and co-investment. We engage directly with the largest energy-using businesses, and partner with accredited energy service providers and industry associations to assist the wider sector.
- Energy Transition Accelerator (ETA) – under this programme, we collaborate with the largest energy-users in the public sector, and the largest carbon-emitters in the private sector. We help them to prioritise energy management and lower emissions over the long term.
- Technology demonstration – we co-invest with businesses to pilot innovative energy- and/or carbon-saving technologies and process improvements that are yet to be widely adopted in New Zealand.