Why we focus on homes
Energy is a vital part of our lives at home, keeping us warm and powering everything from our appliances to hot water.
The energy used in Kiwi homes comes mainly from our highly renewable electricity system, but households have a significant impact on New Zealand's peak electricity use.
Improving the energy efficiency of Kiwi homes not only reduces emissions, it plays a vital role in making sure whānau can enjoy warm, dry and healthy homes - without increased energy costs.
- 7% of NZ's energy-related emissions
- New Zealanders live in energy efficient homes that are warm, dry and healthy.
- New Zealand households benefit from an efficient, well-integrated and resilient renewable energy system.
- Improving existing homes by increasing their energy efficiency, through improved insulation and heating.
- Developing Publicly Available Specifications (PAS) and standards and guidance to accelerate uptake of new technologies, such as demand flexibility/response.
- Extending regulations for energy-using products and continuing to enforce existing performance standards and product labelling requirements.