Why we focus on transport
Over 50% of New Zealand's energy-related emissions come from transport.
Burning fossil fuels like petrol and diesel produces harmful emissions that contribute to climate change.
Luckily, we can optimise the way people and goods are transported by using efficient, low emissions technologies and fuels.
Transport is responsible for
- 21% of New Zealand’s total emissions
- 51% of energy-related emissions
The outcomes we're seeking
- New Zealand adopts low emissions transport technologies and fuels.
- Government establishes low emissions transport policies and initiatives.
- New Zealanders choose low emissions mobility options.
- Supporting the development of charging and refueling infrastructure, and increasing adoption of low emissions vehicles.
- Supporting large fleets to transition to low emissions alternatives.
- Demonstrating low emissions technologies by encouraging innovation and scalability.
- Influencing policy and supporting initiatives that will reduce transport-related emissions.