What could you get?

We all want a warm, dry, healthy home. Find out if you’re eligible to receive a grant for a heater, insulation or both.

Grants cover:

  • 80% of the total cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation. In some areas the cost to you may be even lower, thanks to generous funding from community organisations.
  • 80% of the cost of an approved heater. This could be a heat pump or an efficient wood/pellet burner for the main living area. Heater grants are capped at $3000 including GST.

Are you eligible?

Checklist for an insulation grant

  • You own and live in a home built before 2008.
  • You (the owner) have a Community Services Card or live in an area identified as low-income (visit the application tool(external link) to check your address)
  • Your home doesn't have ceiling and underfloor insulation. (If you had an insulation grant for a previous house, no worries, you can apply for a grant at your current home.)

Checklist for a heater grant

  • You own and live in a home built before 2008.
  • You (the owner) have a community services card or live in an area identified as low income.
  • You have ceiling and underfloor insulation installed to EECA standards. If your home has been insulated through a Government insulation programme, we'll confirm it when you apply for a heater grant. Otherwise an EECA insulation provider will do a quick check — at no cost to you.
  • Your home doesn't already have one of the following fixed heaters that is operational in any living area of the house: heat pump, wood or pellet burner, flued gas heater or central heating system. If your home has one of these heater types, it is not eligible for a heating grant.

What happens next?

  1. 1

    Check your eligibility

    Use our Warmer Kiwi Homes tool to check your eligibility. It’s quick and easy. It will tell you if you can get insulation, a heater, or both, and connect you with an installer.

    Warmer Kiwi Homes tool

  2. 2

    The installer will provide a quote

    They will contact you to arrange a free, no obligation quote and let you know about payment options or extra funding available to you.

  3. 3

    Arrange installation

    Arrange a time directly with the installer. You’ll need to sign a contract and pay the non-funded portion of the cost directly to them.

Some details worth knowing

  • If your house can't be insulated — for example if there's no space under the floor or ceiling — you may still be able to get a grant for a heater. An insulation provider contracted to EECA will have to assess your home — request this through the Warmer Kiwi Homes tool or call 0800 749 782.
  • You're only committed to go ahead with insulation or a new heater when you sign a contract with the installer.
  • If you need building consent for a wood or pellet burner, the installer can apply on your behalf.
  • There may be other payment options to help you pay the rest of the cost - talk to an insulation and/or heater installer contracted to EECA to find out more.

Please note

  • Funding is limited, and grants may not be available in some remote locations and islands. Use the Warmer Kiwi Homes tool to see what's available in your region.
  • Grants for wood and pellet burners are not available in some areas. The Warmer Kiwi Homes tool will tell you if there's a contracted insulation and/or heater installer in your region.
  • Wall insulation isn't included.
  • The grant can only be used for the home you own and live in — not a bach or holiday home.
  • Need some help?

    For questions about Warmer Kiwi Homes and grants, call us on 0800 749 782.