Wairoa is set to become a more sustainable and energy efficient town thanks to a partnership with EECA (The Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority) and New World Wairoa. This week each household in Wairoa will receive a voucher for five, free energy saving LED lightbulbs, which are redeemable at Wairoa New World from 23 October – 1 November.
EECA’s Chief Executive Andrew Caseley says “we’re proud to be supporting Wairoa’s sustainability efforts by providing free LEDs to residents that will reduce their energy costs over time. It’s such a simple swap with positive benefits for both residents and for our carbon reduction efforts.”
The lightbulb trial in Wairoa has been driven by the fact that quality LED bulbs use 85 percent less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs and last considerably longer. Five LED bulbs that replace incandescent lightbulbs have a cost savings of up to $75 per year.
With the long four-day weekend fast approaching and more New Zealanders planning to stay home and start some DIY, now is a great time for locals to head in-store to New World Wairoa and redeem their free LED lightbulbs.
New World Wairoa owner operator Brookes Stewart says that “by playing an active part in supplying the Wairoa community with free LED lightbulbs, we hope to impact our community positively by shining a light on how something as simple as switching lightbulb brands can significantly reduce power costs.”
A simple act of switching to more energy efficient bulbs has the potential to offer substantial cost savings to residents all while decreasing New Zealand’s carbon footprint. If 100,000 more New Zealanders switched all their household lighting to LED lightbulbs, we would prevent 1,669 tonnes of C02 from being released into the atmosphere per year – this is the equivalent of roughly 25,000 people not flying from Auckland to Wellington every year!
“We’re excited to see locals make the most out of this lightbulb giveaway here in Wairoa,” finishes Stewart. “The cost savings and environmental impacts of this giveaway is a huge positive for Wairoa and our wider community.”
How to claim your five free LED lightbulbs:
- Check your letterbox from Wednesday 21 October for your letter and voucher.
- Check your light fittings to see whether they are Bayonet or Screw fittings before heading into New Worlds.
- Residents can bring in the voucher they received in the mail to New World Wairoa, 41 Queens Street from Friday 23 October to Sunday 1 of November to redeem up to five free LED lightbulbs.
- The LED lightbulbs are 100% free – only the voucher is required to redeem them at New World Wairoa.
- This project is proudly supported by the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority and New World Wairoa.