We’ve reduced EECA’s own energy use and greenhouse gas emissions by looking at how we use energy across the organisation.
Changes EECA has made
Here are some of the measures we’ve introduced:
- holding videoconferences instead of travelling for meetings
- hiring smaller rental cars and prioritising EVs
- using a building management system at our offices to monitor and reduce electricity consumption
- introducing energy efficiency measures at all our offices (installing lighting controls, motion sensors, modified air conditioning and upgrading to more energy efficient IT equipment)
- replacing many of our lights with LED bulbs
- using bins to collect compostable waste paper and other recyclables such as used batteries and compact fluorescent bulbs.
Our efforts to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions have been verified by independent organisations.
Toitū Envirocare administers carbon reduction programmes to help businesses realise efficiencies, reduce their carbon footprint, and be more sustainable. EECA is a Toitū carbon certified organisation (formerly CEMARS) which is an internationally accredited greenhouse gas measurement and reporting certification programme.
To gain Toitū cabonreduce certification, EECA measures and reports its carbon footprint (greenhouse gas emissions profile) and makes a commitment to reduce its emissions.
EECA is also a Toitū carbonzero certified organisation through offsetting its annual carbon emissions.
EECA's Toitū certifications are independently verified and is independently certified by Toitū.
The floors we occupy in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch all have a rating of 4 stars (representing 'excellent performance') out of a possible 6 under the NABERSNZ office building energy measurement and rating scheme.
Climate Leaders Coalition
EECA is a member of the Climate Leaders Coalition, launched in 2018, which promotes business leadership and collective action on climate change. Its members commit their organisations to measuring and reporting their emissions, setting a public emissions reduction target, and working with suppliers to reduce their emissions.