EECA helps you meet your obligations
Manufacturers, importers and retailers have a duty to comply with product Regulations. EECA facilitates this by:
- Education and support – Presentations and newsletters to industry and consumer programmes to help understand the Act. Publication of results and responses to compliance monitoring activities, offences, contraventions, and adverse activities.
- Assisted compliance – Monitoring such as labelling surveys and site visits, and product check testing.
- Proactive compliance – Responding to those who opportunistically or deliberately contravene the legislation.
- Responsive interventions – We may impose proportionate sanctions, warnings or directions.
- Enforcement – Failure to comply can result in a fine of up to $10,000 per offence (per product).
We focus on risk
“Risk” means the level of harm that would result if our regulations are breached, and the likelihood of that occurring. We use data to profile risk, evaluate need, and target action. Initiatives and interventions focus on groups with the greatest need and risk.