The information provided on this website includes general information about the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority, the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority's functions and activities, and general guidance. This website also includes information that has been provided by, or based on information that has been provided by partners of our voluntary programmes.
By using this website you acknowledge that the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority has taken every reasonable step to maintain current and accurate information on this website. However, no guarantee is made as to the currency or accuracy of information and that;
- the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority has taken reasonable steps to maintain current and accurate information on this website. However, no guarantee is made as to the currency or accuracy of information. Changes to any tools presented on this website are to be expected from time to time, in an effort by the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority to provide up-to-date data. As a result, the results generated by the tools presented on this website may also vary over time.
- the contents of this website should not be construed as legal or investment advice. Before relying on any information in this website users should independently verify its relevance for their purposes;
- if you have questions about a particular product or service, please contact the relevant manufacturer, distributor, or retailer to confirm the details of the product you are interested in;
- the information provided does not replace or alter the laws of New Zealand and other official guidelines or requirements;
- to the fullest extent permitted by law, the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority will not be liable to you nor to any third party whether in contract, tort, equity or otherwise whether by itself or by any employee, agent, contractor or representative for any loss or damage which may directly or indirectly arise out of or in connection with this website or use of or reliance on any information contained on or referred to in this website or for any error, omission, inadequacy, incompleteness or corruption of any information or any virus, Trojan horse or other damaging software;
- the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority does not implicitly or impliedly endorse any website, organisation, or people who have off-site links to the EECA's website;
- the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority is not responsible for the contents or reliability of any linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Linking is for convenience only and should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. The Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and has no control over availability of the linked pages; and
- the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority may change, delete, add to, or otherwise amend information contained on this website without notice.
This tool is intended to provide general information and guidance. The figures produced by the tool are estimates only.
Source of information: This tool incorporates data sourced from a number of sources, including the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's Energy in New Zealand, Statistics New Zealand's NZ Energy Use Survery, Air New Zealand, Electricity Authority, Covec, Gas Industry Company Limited, KiwiRail, Bioenergy Association of New Zealand and New Zealand Geothermal Association. © EECA 2018
The Fuel economy label generator tool is designed to provide consumers with an estimate of how much it costs to run a vehicle. It also allows motor vehicle traders to print fuel economy labels for display on cars.
You will be asked to input details about the vehicle you are enquiring about. The tool will then provide you with a label that indicates the fuel economy in litres per 100km and a rating out of 6 stars. The fuel economy label generator tool incorporates data sourced from the NZTA RightCar database.
The fuel economy label generator tool assumes that;
- Estimated cost per year to run the car – this comparative running cost is based on average fuel price and driving 14,000km per year. For diesel vehicles this cost also includes Road User Charges.
- Fuel economy in litres per 100km – provided by the vehicle manufacturer who obtains the data from international rolling road cycle testing, based on performance of a new model of the car.
- Average fuel price - used to calculate the cost per year for comparison purposes only.
The electric car label differs slightly:
- Fuel economy for electric cars is shown in kilowatt hours per 100km
- Information includes a range showing how far the car can be expected to go on a full charge
- Displaying the label is optional for dealers.
While the tool can be used to provide a useful estimate, results may vary depending on factors such as vehicle condition and any vehicle modifications, driving style, traffic conditions, distance travelled and fuel price variations.