General practice insulation referrals

General practice can refer patients for free insulation through the Warm Up New Zealand: Healthy Homes programme.

Free ceiling and underfloor insulation may be available for low-income patients who rent their home. Landlords will pay up to 50% of the cost of the retrofit.

Eligibility criteria

  • rental property built before the year 2000
  • named tenant must have a Community Services Card
  • the programme may also accept referrals from registered health practitioners for low-income patients (just above Community Services Card level) with respiratory conditions
  • a referral from the Ministry of Health’s Healthy Homes initiatives

Tenants living in Government housing are not eligible for this offer. Government agencies insulate their own rental properties.

How to refer

If you do not already have a referral process set up, EECA can send you tear-off pads (50 sheets per pad) which you can sign and give to eligible patients. Email with the name and address of your practice and the number of pads you would like to order.

What is the process?

  • The tenant will phone a Warm Up New Zealand: Healthy Homes service provider who will confirm the house can be insulated. The service provider will measure the roof space and under the floor.
  • The patient will need to show their Community Services Card, or
  • If the patient doesn’t have a CSC, provide evidence of being within $20,000 of the threshold of qualifying for a CSC, and have a referral from a medical practitioner for a respiratory related illness for one of the occupants living in the home.
  • The service provider can liaise with the landlord.
  • If the landlord agrees to the retrofit, the service provider will arrange a time to do the job.


Funding for insulation - ENERGYWISE website