Low Emission Vehicles Contestable Fund
The Government has established a contestable fund to encourage innovation and investment that will accelerate uptake of electric and other low emission vehicles in New Zealand, that might not otherwise occur.
The first funding round is now open for applications and will close at 8am on Monday 17 October 2016.
Detailed information and the response form are available on the Government Electronic Tenders Service (GETS) website (reference number 17902788).
Applicants should download the response form from GETS and submit their application to LEVFund@eeca.govt.nz by 8am on Monday 17 October 2016.
If you have any questions regarding your application please email LEVFund@eeca.govt.nz or contact the fund manager at EECA on 04 470 2200.
The Government established the contestable fund to encourage innovation and investment that will accelerate uptake of electric and other low emission vehicles in New Zealand that might not otherwise occur.
The fund will provide up to $6 million per year (up to $4 million in 2016/17) to co-fund, up to 50%, projects with private and public sector partners in areas where commercial returns aren’t strong enough yet to justify full private investment.
These projects will need to contribute to at least one of the following objectives:
- Increasing the variety and supply of electric vehicles (EVs) available
- Improving the availability of servicing or charging infrastructure in areas where demand is not fully developed
- Increasing demand for EVs
- Developing innovative products or systems to take advantage of growing EV usage
There are four criteria under which projects will be assessed:
- Contribution to the fund’s objectives
- The project’s fit with the investment focus for this funding round
- The applicant’s ability to deliver
- The value for money the project offers
The EECA Board will make funding decisions, based on recommendations from an assessment panel. The assessment panel will be chaired by EECA board member Elena Trout.
2016/17 Investment focus
To ensure that investment is phased over the life of the fund in a way that matches New Zealand’s progress towards electric vehicles, each year will have a particular investment focus.
The fund’s investment focus for 2016/17 will be demonstration projects that can implemented relatively quickly. These projects will need to result in:
- Lessons on how to overcome challenges to implementing new low emission vehicle technologies that can be used to replicate the same outcomes elsewhere
- Investor and consumer confidence in the viability of these technologies in New Zealand
- Opportunities to scale-up the demonstration model
- Increased visibility of EVs and the associated technology and infrastructure
Examples of projects that could be a good fit include: demonstrations of vehicle types not currently used in New Zealand, car sharing schemes that promote the use of electric vehicles and new ways of addressing transport demands, or projects that create and promote branded tourism routes using electric vehicles.
Projects in scope for the first funding round will encourage and support the uptake of electric vehicles on roads used by the public, and that make use of New Zealand’s renewable electricity advantage. This includes electric and plug-in hybrid electric cars, vans, trucks and buses and associated technologies or services.
In the first funding round, electric bicycles (and other two and three wheelers), quadricycles, as well as the marine, rail and aviation sectors are outside the scope of the fund.
Information on future funding rounds
If you are not already on our email list, sign-up for updates on the Low Emission Vehicles Contestable Fund.