Round 8 investment focus
This funding round sought proposals to demonstrate a range of low emission technologies, infrastructure, innovations and business models in the marine transport space (limited to the specifications set out in Section 1.4).
This could include projects in the areas of marine vessels, electric outboard motors, charging infrastructure to service marine projects and associated technologies or services. Hydrogen fuel cell vessels and other technologies may be in scope if they make use of New Zealand’s renewable electricity advantage, and a reliable supply exists.
Up to $2.5 million was available in Round 8.
Round 8 objectives
This round's investment focus was on:
Vessels and technologies
- Encourage innovation in approaches and technologies that can result in marine transport decarbonisation through for example electrification, hydrofoiling, and hybrid drives.
Operational emissions reduction activity
- Improving emissions profile without large capital investment/vessel replacement through behaviour change and optimisation, e.g. advanced hull coatings, propeller optimisation.
Support services/sector development
- Support the development of low emission marine technology maintenance, battery, repair and other support services.
Public charging infrastructure
- Support the development of public charging infrastructure specific for marine projects (applicants may note the benefits of other types of vehicles being able to use the infrastructure).
In addition, EECA is open to receiving requests for feasibility studies.
Feasibility studies for future projects
- Scoping studies e.g. for shore power for large vessels (connectivity and capital investments), scoping connectivity requirements for development of an eco-system of cross-sector users able to use common charging infrastructure at a port, marina, or other collaboration. If you are interested in undertaking a feasibility study, contact us at LETFund@eeca.govt.nz any time; these studies are not tied to a particular funding round and are available all year depending on funding availability.
Demonstrations may provide any of the following:
- Additionality or innovation in the business case;
- Significant replication potential;
- Demonstration of technology in a new location or environment;
- Representation of end-use in a different sub-sector;
- Potential for low-emission transport transition in the short, medium or long term;
- Significant opportunity for learnings by overcoming barriers in the organisation, sectoral barriers or regulatory barriers.
This round closed on March 8; documents below are for reference only.
Request for Proposals [PDF, 1.3 MB]
Proposed Funding Agreement [PDF, 257 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 310 KB]
Recipient's Guide [PDF, 487 KB]
Email LETFund@eeca.govt.nz with any questions.
What is excluded?
The overall Low Emission Transport Fund (LETF) exclusions apply to this round, along with the exclusions included in the RFP document.
Opportunities for projects involving biofuels, off-and on-road vehicles, public road charging infrastructure and aviation are excluded from this funding round but may be eligible in future funding rounds. If you do have such a project in mind we would be interested to hear from you.
|RFP released||9am Wednesday 8 February 2023|
|Deadline for questions||4pm Wednesday 1 March 2023|
|Deadline for proposals||12pm Wednesday 8 March 2023|
|Decision announced||From early May 2023|
Get in touchWe're happy to discuss your project ideas and likely eligibility. For any enquiries, such as questions on the scope of the fund or help completing the Response Form, email LETFund@eeca.govt.nz.