Round 6 investment focus
This funding round seeks proposals for public EV destination charging infrastructure to support and accelerate wider deployment and market uptake of electric vehicles as a key part of New Zealand’s move to low emission transport.
Up to $2.0 million will be available in Round 6.
Round 6 objectives
This round's focus is on two areas:
- New or additional charging infrastructure to address queuing or provide access to fast charging using an innovative business model. The project needs to demonstrate a clear pathway for a scalable deployment of destination chargers.
- Public destination chargers of between 25kW-50kW DC for community or neighbourhood charging, either standalone or as part of a network, where users will spend between 30 mins and 2 hours conducting other activities, for example at supermarkets and gyms.
Applicants may propose Projects which include charging infrastructure, electrical connection, site works, modest project management, and where necessary contribution to additional supply capacity where it provides public benefit.
These projects should:
- Support EV uptake and provide consumers with confidence in the availability of public electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- Ensure charging infrastructure standards such as interoperability, connectivity and energy efficiency are adequately met.
- Provide the government and industry with information and guidance to better inform planning and optimal investment.
- Encourage new entrants and competition for provision of charging infrastructure and service providers.
- Enable innovation in new technology and business models.
- Demonstrate pathways to commercial viability and scalability.
Note, charging projects must be a minimum of $50,000 in total core project costs to qualify. Find more information on this in the RFP document.
Recipients will be required to share knowledge, reporting and data with EECA as part of the Funding Agreement which will set out how, when and with whom it will be shared.
How to apply
Download the key documents for this round and submit your proposal using the online form to LETFund@eeca.govt.nz by 12pm Wednesday 8 February 2023.
Request for Proposals [PDF, 1021 KB]
Response form [DOCX, 1.1 MB] - this is for reference only, applicants must use the online form provided.
Proposed Funding Agreement [PDF, 245 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 130 KB]
Recipient's Guide [PDF, 465 KB]
Email LETFund@eeca.govt.nz with any questions.
What is excluded
The overall Low Emission Transport Fund (LETF) exclusions apply to this round, for example projects that involve public journey changing infrastructure, biofuels, marine vessels, aviation and other classes of off-road vehicles are excluded in this round and will be explored in future funding rounds — get in touch with us to discuss any project ideas involving these areas. Private charging infrastructure and projects which are largely for the benefit of a private entity or only provide limited public access are excluded.
|RFP released||9am Thursday 1 December 2022|
|Deadline for questions||4pm Wednesday 1 February 2023|
|Deadline for proposals||12pm Wednesday 8 February 2023|
|Decision announced||From late March 2023|
Get in touchWe're happy to discuss your project ideas and answer any questions you may have. For any enquiries, contact EECA at LETFund@eeca.govt.nz.