Round 2 investment focus
This funding round sought proposals for public EV charging infrastructure such as hyper power chargers and destination chargers to support and accelerate wider deployment and market uptake of electric vehicles as a key part of New Zealand’s move to low emission transport.
$4.0 million will be available in the 2021-22 financial year for public charging infrastructure projects. This will be available in up to two funding rounds in this period.
Round 2 closed on 3 November 2021. New funding rounds will open in mid-2022.
Successful applicants to Round 2 were announced on 24 February 2022.
Round 2 objectives
This round's focus is on two areas:
- Public chargers in identified charging infrastructure gaps and locations, to future-proof for an expected increase in demand. To minimise queueing and stay ahead of EV uptake, multi-head chargers at higher speeds will be prioritised.
- Public chargers of 25kW DC minimum for community or neighbourhood charging, both individual or a network where users will spend between 30 minutes and 2 hours.
These projects should:
- Support EV uptake and provide consumers with confidence in the availability of public electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- Ensure charging infrastructure standards such as interoperability, connectivity and energy efficiency are adequately met.
- Provide the government and industry with information and guidance to better inform planning and optimal investment.
- Encourage new entrants and competition for provision of charging infrastructure and service providers.
- Enable innovation in new technology and business models.
Note, charging projects must be a minimum of $50,000 in total core project costs to qualify. Find more information on this in the RFP document.
Recipients will be required to share knowledge, reporting and data with EECA as part of the Funding Agreement which will set out how, when and with whom it will be shared.
These documents are for reference only. Round 2 closed on 3 November 2021.
Email LETFund@eeca.govt.nz with any questions.
What is excluded
The overall Low Emission Transport Fund (LETF) exclusions apply to this round, along with the exclusions included in the RFP document.
In addition to these, projects that involve biofuels, marine vessels, aviation and other classes of off-road vehicles are excluded in this round and will be explored in future funding rounds — get in touch with us to discuss any project ideas involving these areas.
Things to note
- Private charging infrastructure and projects which are largely for the benefit of a private entity or only provide limited public access are excluded.
- Chargers are expected to be interoperable. AC chargers are ineligible unless a key part of a technology solution.
|RFP released||9am Wednesday 6 October 2021|
|Deadline for questions||4pm Wednesday 27 October 2021|
|Deadline for proposals||12pm Wednesday 3 November 2021|
|Decision announced||From mid-February 2022|
Get in touch
We're happy to discuss your project ideas and likely eligibility. For any enquiries, such as questions on the scope of the fund or help completing the Response Form, contact Camilla Cochrane at LETFund@eeca.govt.nz.