Skip to Content

Boosting your home's warmth with a government grant

29 June 2009

Insulation is a great way of making your home cosier and easier to heat. Over the next four years, many homeowners can get assistance to make their homes warmer, drier and healthier, through the government's new $323 million insulation and heating programme.

Check out the information below to learn more about the Warm Up New Zealand: Heat Smart funding, provided by the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority's ENERGYWISETM programme.

What can I get?

On any income level, you can get:

Funding for insulation.

33% of the cost (to a maximum of $1300 incl. GST) of installing ceiling and underfloor insulation (the average cost of installing good levels of ceiling and underfloor insulation in a home is around $3000-$3500).

It must be done with approved products and by a provider registered to take part in the scheme, to ensure performance and safety.

Funding for a clean, efficient heating device, as long as you have good ceiling and underfloor insulation first.

$500 (incl. GST) towards the cost of installing a clean, efficient heating device (like an approved wood burner or pellet burner, an ENERGY STAR ® heat pump or a 4-star AGA-rated flued gas heater) in your primary living area.

If you're a community services card holder, or a landlord with tenants who hold community services cards, you can get higher levels of funding:

Homeowners with community services cards

60% of the cost of insulation and $1200 (incl. GST) for a clean heating device. Funding may be higher than this in areas where local organisations contribute additional money - you can ask whether this is the case in your area when you apply.

Landlords with tenants who hold community services cards

60% of the cost of insulation and $500 (incl. GST) for a clean heating device. 

How do I apply?

Contact a provider in your area - you can find a directory on EECA's ENERGYWISETM website at Different providers may offer different products and prices, so you might want to contact more than one. The provider will assess your home and give you a quote for the work. The quote will tell you how much the government contribution will be.

Who is eligible?

Homeowners with houses built before 2000 are eligible - there is no income restriction, and you don't have to be living in the home to be able to get the funding. So, if you are a landlord, you can qualify for funding for each of your rental properties.

Can I install insulation/heating myself and still get funding?

No, you can only get funding through a provider registered to take part in the scheme and they do the installation for you. This is to ensure the products are installed in a safe and effective manner.

How long does it take to get the work done?

You should get an assessment and a quote within 30 days of contacting a provider. When the work can actually be done depends on the demand on service providers in each region, and there will be variation across the country.

This is a programme designed to work over the next four years. Demand is likely to be high in the early stages, so you may need to be patient as providers work to meet demand.

Are there different options for how I can pay for my insulation or heating?

Yes. Major banks are offering their customers the ability to top-up their mortgage to pay for insulation and heating.

EECA is also working with councils to look at ways for people to pay through their rates, and with electricity retailers on the possibility of people paying through their electricity bills. Latest news can be found on the ENERGYWISETM website.


For more information, and to find out who to contact in your area about warming up your home, visit



Media enquiries: 

Communications Advisor, 04 470 2200.