Local government includes regional, city and district councils. These councils are responsible for the well-being of their communities. The way communities use and generate energy makes a difference to their well-being, and local government has an important part to play in this.
Their two main roles are:
- Leading by example by improving their energy efficiency and using and generating renewable energy
- Developing policies and plans that encourage and support energy efficiency and renewable energy in their communities.
Resources to assist local government
EECA can help local government:
- Identify and plan for renewable energy resources in your region
- Develop a regional energy strategy
- Factor energy efficiency and renewable energy into your community planning
- Improve energy management in your own organisations
The following are relevant to local government when influencing energy use and generation in their communities: